Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Squash Noodles & Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Italian Sausage

I've always heard of using zucchini and squash as a noodle substitute, and I'd always wanted to try this, and with this killer spaghetti craving I've been having I decided to give it a try.

I also was on a mission to make my own, homemade spaghetti sauce so I thought I'd give it all a try!

First things first, the sauce.  Brown you some Italian sausage and dice you some onions and garlic!





Add the onion and garlic to the Italian sausage and cook until the onion is translucent.



Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, ground salt, ground pepper and brown sugar and bring it to a boil.  Reduce and let it simmer for an hour.



Why an hour?  Well fun fact the more you simmer something the more you bring out the flavor.  It's really that simple.  So simmer that shit for an hour if you have the time!

So onto the fucking squash.  Why am I swearing you ask?  Because if you don't have an idiotic moment at the grocery store and you pay attention and buy spaghetti squash or zucchini I'm sure you'll have some really good noodles.  But noooooo, I had to buy yellow squash.  WITH FUCKING SEEDS.  EFFFFFFFFF!





So fuck it, I was going to use spaghetti noodles.  But did I have the spaghetti noodles I thought I did?  Hell no, of course not!  But I did have Ziti noodles so fine.





Final score?
Homemade spaghetti sauce - Win
Squash noodles - Lose
Low carb - Lose :-(
Taste - Win







Spaghetti Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
* 1+ lbs of Italian Sausage
* 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
* 2 garlic cloves diced (or if you're me, 6 garlic cloves)
* Diced tomatoes (one regular sized can)
* Tomato sauce (2 cans)
* Tomato paste (1 can)
* 1/2c. water
* Basil
* Parsley
* Red Pepper Flakes
* Fresh ground salt
* Fresh ground pepper
* Brown Sugar
* 1/8c. red wine (Cabernet)

DIRECTIONS:
1) Brown Italian sausage
2) Add in diced onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent
3) Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water
4) Add in basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and brown sugar
5) Bring to a boil
6) Reduce to a low simmer
7) Simmer for an hour for the best flavor

Squash Noodles

DON'T FUCKING BY YELLOW SQUASH!

Okay seriously, you can use spaghetti squash or zucchini.  Poke holes in the the squash and cook in the microwave for 10-12 minutes.  Shred with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment