In the spirit of being more organized I have actually planned my meals out for the week and grocery shopped accordingly. I'm very proud of myself - I usually don't know my right from my left and am making multiple grocery store stops each week. But not this week damn it! And meal number one was none other than quiche! This is one of my all time favorite meals. I first ate quiche when I was living in France and have been in love with this dish ever since. The only quiche dish you can get around here that is legit is at a small shop that this lovely French woman owns. She's been in the states for about 10 years and her quiche is to die for.
Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try, sans crust, of course, and it was delicious! First, pick your ingredients. I went with onion, ham and bacon, and then topped it with fresh green onion. Next time I'll use spinach instead of ham, but that's the beauty of quiche - you make it your own!
So first thing's first - cook your bacon and dice it up. I used turkey bacon this time since I had it in my fridge and for the record, I LOVE turkey bacon!
Eat a couple pieces of bacon - wait, what?!?
Dice up your onion and cook it for about 5 minutes in some olive oil and butter.
Add in your ham (or spinach, or peppers, etc.) and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a bowl combine heavy whipping cream, eggs, salt and pepper and whisk together.
Next add in your cheese and bacon and stir together (so you should technically only put in the allotted Swiss cheese, but I'm kinda obsessed with sharp cheddar so I added a handful).
Add in the onion and ham (or whatever) mixture.
After it's all mixed together, put it in a glass dish/quiche dish (yeah they make those) or glass pie pan.
Cook for about 30-35 minutes; put a knife in the middle and if it comes out clean it's done.
Finally I diced up my green onion and sprinkled on top. And voila!
I went off off this recipe I found at Food.com. You have room to use different ingredients and play with the recipe, but it's a great base recipe to use. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment