Sriracha. It's the mother of all condiments. It's the latest "thing" in cooking and eating and people are putting it on and in the strangest things. So when I stumbled across a recipe for Sriracha Ice Cream Sandwiches, I figured why the hell not? It wasn't too hard to recruit some candidates for this experiment either. Boys like to eat. It's pretty simple. And most of them love themselves some Sriracha, so all we had to do was pick a day and time and we were set.
First thing's first and we had to assign the toughest job to our friend Tony - supervising. See - look how hard Tony's working - drinking beer and "reading" Playboy.
Back in the kitchen we got to work on starting the cookie portion of the ice cream sammiches. Yes, for the record I have taken to calling sandwiches 'sammiches' and I am aware this is incorrect.
So first thing's first, and that is toasting, or roasting, or whatever you prefer, but brown some coconut. If you like coconut. I'm not the biggest fan of coconut but I did try it with the sammich and couldn't really taste it, so it didn't make any diff to me.
Next, you gotta make the cookies. Pretty straight forward peanut butter and chocolate chunk cookies EXCEPT THE SRIRACHA!
So you're gonna mix all the stuff together for your cookies in a mixer except the Sriracha. Once you have the cookies all blended together, it's time for the good stuff.
And the money shot....
So the blog that I pulled this recipe from said a 1/4 of a cup of Sriracha. 1/8 of a cup for most people. I think we used 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Yep, we live our life on the edge like that.
Here's the first taste testing of the batter as we eagerly await his reaction...
And Sriracha FOR. THE. WIN! After that it was time to make some cookies. We knew we needed six cookies (duh, three people, three ice cream sammiches), and that they'd be bigger than normal cookies. I started rolling them in balls and flattening them but with the oil from the peanut butter and butter, they kept falling apart.
So genius me (of course I was genius, I was drinking vodka during this process) flattened them ON the cookie sheet and not in my hand.
Get them all laid out and make some hashes in the cookies and bake. Side note. The recipe that I'll link you to for this says to bake them for 10-12 minutes, but we ended up baking them for 20 minutes.
Next, the ice cream. So this was SOOO strange to us, but you get yourself some vanilla bean ice cream and you dice up some basil and add it in. Yep, you read that right. Basil. You're putting herbs, into your ice cream. Now the recipe calls for Thai basil, and naturally our Asian food market in town was out of it, so we used regular basil. Dice it up, fold it in and put it back in the freezer to harden up some more. Sorry guys, I didn't get a pic of this part. I think I was refilling my vodka when Craig was doing this part. Seriously. BUT let me tell you the basil actually was awesome in the ice cream so don't skip this part!
After your cookies have cooled and your ice cream has hardened, make yourself your Sriracha ice cream sammich!
And ta-da!!! You've just made yourself a Sriracha Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sammich!
Happy friends!
See, even the dog knew a good thing when he saw it!
Word of advice, the ice cream melts quickly, so hurry and eat it.
You can find this recipe over at the crazy guys who write for the food blog The Glut Life. They're a bunch of crazy Texan's who love to eat and have sense of humor, so check them out if you dare!
No comments:
Post a Comment